
As a sometime model and a contestant in the Miss America 2013 pageant, Allyn Rose is no stranger to utilizing her entire body to send a message. But the message she wants to send is about health, not elegance.
On Saturday, Jan. 12, the 24-year-old Miss District of Columbia winner will compete with 52 other females for the coveted Miss America Crown at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas. She'll flaunt her match figure in a bikini, grace the stage in an evening gown, and display off her uncommon talent for roller figure skating.
Sometime following, she'll undergo a double mastectomy to eliminate the two her breasts as a preventive measure against breast cancer. The illness has by now killed 3 women in her loved ones, like her mom and grandmother.
"My mom would have provided up just about every component of her physique to be here for me, to view me in the pageant," the University of Maryland politics key informed the Linked Press of why she plans to consider such a drastic measure. "If there's a thing that I can do to be proactive, it may possibly hurt my entire body, it may harm my physical elegance, but I am going to be alive."
Rose's father first advised the surgical procedure when she was a freshman in school, but she rejected the idea at the time, telling him she liked her entire body the way it was. Now that she's a tiny older, though -- just three years away from the age at which her mom, Judy, was first diagnosed -- she's realizing that being balanced is more important than staying great.
Miss America CEO Art McMaster has stated Rose is "an extraordinary example " of strength and courage. But not everyone supports the Newburg, Md., beauty queen's choice. Some pageant die-hards have criticized her for "mutilating" her entire body or using the surgical treatment to curry favor with the media and the public.
Even now, Rose (who plans to have reconstructive surg ical procedure ) is standing behind her selection. And though she at first mentioned that if she won the crown, she would wait to have the mastectomy right up until right after her yearlong reign, she's now thinking about undergoing the process sooner rather than later as a way of marketing breast cancer prevention.
" I have been contemplating how potent that may be to have a Miss America say, 'I may well be Miss America, but I'm still going to have surgery. I'm going to take management of my own existence, my very own wellness care,'" she told the AP. "So I guess it can be up to what happens on Saturday night."








0 komentar:
Post a Comment